Friday, August 5, 2011

She's Come Undone

Though I read this book roughly a year ago, I feel I must do a review on it.  I glanced over to my book pile and it caught my eye.  I am a sucker when it comes to despairing books and She's Come Undone is no disappointment in that department.  This book tips the scale for its uniqueness. Wally Lamb will enthrall you with his debut novel.
She's Come Undone traces the life a Dolores from the age of 4 to 40.  Her life is no fairy tale as it seems she has no one she can rely on besides her mother.  Dolores becomes overweight and self-pitying as she camps herself out in her room with mountains of junk food.  Dolores never feels good enough and this novel follows her through her pain and struggles with her imperfections.  I feel that many people can identify with Dolores on some level, and isn't that what makes books interesting?

Things to watch out for:
This book is definitely rated R.  Lamb tells this story in first person through Dolores, so there are provocative thoughts and vulgar language throughout the book.  There are a hefty amount of sexual references and some sexual content as well.  I would not recommend this book to anyone under the age of 16.  Though I enjoyed this book, I would really just not recommend it to anyone.  Between the language and the sexual content I would not have read it all the way through had I fully known.

I give this book:
uniqueness: 10/11 (A)
Though I do not agree with all of the content of this book, it's storyline and writing style are very unique.
flow: 10.5/11 (A+)
Very easy to read.
inspirational: 6.3/11 (C)
Though this book takes you through the heartbreaking struggle of Dolores first-hand, I was just not getting the awe inspiring effect.  This book is inspiring, I guess it's just overshadowed by such a profound book like The Kite Runner since it's pertaining to a devastating modern day issue.  Depression is also a modern day issue, but once you've read The Kite Runner, it might be easier to understand my feelings.  Of course, this is all just my opinion, not fact.
Overall Rating 8.12 (B)
and if you subract another point or two (which I would) for the excessive SC and Language, it's more like a 7 or D+

If you are considering reading this book and have any further questions, please comment!  If you have read the book, tell me what you think.  Agree or disagree with my review?

No comments:

Post a Comment